HOW TO MAKE YOUR SMALL ROOM APPEAR BIGGER
by TW Editorial
July 9, 2018
If you’ve got a small living room and you wish it were bigger, don’t worry, we’ve got some lovely tips for you to help you make it look more spacious.
Whether you’re a student in a dorm or just maybe living in an over-priced apartment in a fancy area, you know the struggle with how to make a small room look bigger is oh-so-real.
That said, there are plenty of easy solutions which will help make your small space look more inviting, increasingly multi-functional, and utterly chic, all at the same time.
Here, our 10 favorite tips for making a small room look bigger.
- When adding drapes to a room, make sure they’re the same color as your walls. Sticking to the same color will make your space look bigger. Another trick is to go with sheer drapes.
- Take advantage of natural light as much as you can, which will open up your space.
- Opt for sofas and armchairs that are raised on legs, which creates a sense of light and space.
- De-clutter relentlessly if you live in a small space. If you haven’t used something in a year—or wouldn’t buy it now—get rid of it.
- Think in a color palette that’s light and neutral, which will expand your space visually.
- Go for fabrics and rugs in small prints or plain colors. Unified colors will visually expand a small room.
- Buy multi-functional furniture, such as ottomans, which can be used as both a coffee table and extra seating, all at once.
- Include mirrors in your space! The reflection will make a room look bigger.
- There’s an old rule that small furniture in a small space is the way to go, but a few larger pieces of furniture in a small room will often make it look bigger.
- Consider adding floor-to-ceiling or wall-to-wall bookcases. This trick will expand how high your ceilings look, plus it’s a great way to add storage.