Who doesn’t want a radiant, youthful, smooth and blemish-free face?
A smooth face does not always happen by chance, sometimes, it involves strictly adhering to a skin care routine.
The goal of any skin care routine is to improve the overall appearance of your skin. These daily habits have a big impact on what you see in the mirror.
But what if you are you are strictly adhering to the wrong steps? Here are 10 habits that are destroying your face
- Sleeping with makeup on– This is the easiest bad habit to develop.You get home late and the last thing on your mind is your face! But do you know that everytime you sleep with your make up on, the pores in your face become more clogged thereby causing your skin to age prematurely?
- Sleeping on a cotton pillowcase– Research has shown that satin or silk minimizes permanent creases and complexion issues. Persistently pressing your face into a pillowcase causes trauma to the skin. Over time, this trauma aggravated by the friction of cotton can cause permanent creases as our collagen breaks down.
- Popping pimples– We know you hate that pimple staring back at you everytime you look in the mirror. But popping that pimple is never the answer, you could be doing more harm than good to your face. Check out more reasons why you shouldn’t pop that pimple here.
- Picking at your face– You should avoid picking at your face, anytime the thought comes up, fight it! Whenever you pick or pull at your skin, you are causing damage and creating irritation, scars, and wrinkles.
- Making use of dirty makeup brushes– Ensure that your make up brushes are clean before applying any form of makeup to your face. Keeping your brushes clean every day will prevent dirt and old makeup buildup from causing damage to your skin.
- Not applying sunscreen to your skin– Owning a sunscreen is not luxury, it is a necessity. You should look for one that has an SPF of 30 or higher and wear it everyday. It will protect your skin from ultraviolet rays which cause photoaging of the skin.
- Not using a satin bonnet or hair net– You might wonder what this has to do with your face. But have you ever noticed that many people have forehead breakouts? This is due to the oil and hair care products that they use especially with hairstyles like fringe.
- Not getting enough sleep– Getting that beauty sleep cannot be overemphasized, when the skin is not getting enough rest, it becomes dull and pale with under-eye circles. A lack of sleep can be so stressful that it can cause our bodies, including our skin, to generate free radicals.
- Using just any product– Not knowing what you put on your skin is an unforgivable beauty sin. You cannot truly enjoy great skin if you don’t educate yourself on what you are putting on it. Ensure you read up on ingredients and learn about what you are applying.
- Doing too much– Everything we do should be done in moderation. Over-scrubbing, over-exfoliating, over-using your cleanser or retinol products also compromise your skin’s natural protective oil. You do not have to cleanse your face three times daily, merely washing your face should suffice.