Favor Takes New York – Day 2 At New York Fashion Week

My name is Favor Olugu and I am a Fashion Stylist, Fashion and Style Editor of tw Magazine and Fashion Blogger.

I am currently on holiday in New York, and here, I will be showing you everything I get up to this holiday.

First, we begin with the New York Fashion Week….

Enjoy!

NYFW Day 2

I’d heard and read about the craziness that is New York City traffic but never paid too much attention to it. Coming from Lagos, a city notorious for its stand still traffic, so much so it made traffic in any other part of the world seem like child’s play, it never occurred to me that the traffic in NYC would be equally as frustrating!

As my Uber pool car driver made his way through the traffic to the venue of my first show in West SoHo, I couldn’t help but notice how patient and civilized he was driving as he navigated through traffic. While I admired his civility and caution, I found myself wishing this was Lagos where the drivers drove crazy, maneuvering impatiently through traffic just so I would not miss my show which at the time was looking less likely. I arrived just in time to see people walking out of the venue…

The show had just ended!!

I was furious but determined not miss my next show which was a beauty event by Lyne Cosmetics called “Rogue Girl so Frankie“. I went to a nearby restaurant to have lunch and wait for the next event. We ordered buffalo wing, and half way through my second wing, two reminders pop up on my phone for two different events, barely 30 minutes apart with two different locations at least 15 mins apart by car. My knees buckled; the one thing I dreaded was happening all over again. Frankie came up with a brilliant plan to touch base at the beauty event for about 10 to 15 mins then head over to Skylight Clarkson Sq just in time for the second event. However, this didn’t pan out as we expected; to my surprise, the beauty event was running late and so we skipped and headed to the next.

We stood in line for the Chromat SS18 show, waiting to get in, but as my seating designation was “Priority Standing” which meant I had to wait for those who had actual seats to be seated first before I got a 70% chance of sitting or a 30% chance of standing. Either way, I was happy; I just wanted to get into the show and not miss any more shows.

Unfortunately, while I was standing in line, there was an announcement from a feminine voice I couldn’t see, saying the show was about to begin and the doors were being shut asking the rest of us to walk into a nearby room to watch the show on a screen.

If I was furious before, this time I was super furious!

Though I watched the show from the screen, I loved the Chromat show; it was audacious and included a lot swimwear. The collection featured cut-outs, bondage inspired crystal adorned plastic bras, corsets and garter belts.

After Chromat, I made in successfully to the Katie Gallagher SS18 presentation which was absolutely beautiful. The ambience of the gallery was cloudy as if it had just rained mirroring the name of the collection which was titled RAIN. The collection featured breezy layers and sheer effects that contrast with the collection’s overall icy, dark feel.

Looks include heavy baby blue and black mink sashes with sheer English tulle hoodies and long, banded translucent skirts. After the show, I ran into RnB artiste  Justine Skye and Singer and Rapper Dej Loaf. I also met these beautiful stylish ladies who taught me that age doesn’t define style, and we took an awesome picture.

Next up was the Bibhu Mohapatra collection that drew inspiration from Eastern Asia, striking a balance between seduction and strength using geometric silhouettes, pleated tulle, Japanese lace and embellished fabrics, beadwork and knotting. It was a mix of ready-to-wear and evening gowns with draping and low cut necklines.

In the end, it was such a good day, despite all the mishaps everything came together just fine. I loved all three shows and meeting Justine Skye and Dej Loaf was definitely the icing on the cake.

Photo Credit: Kat Gallagher and Bibhu Mohapatra

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.