I lived with severe lactose intolerance for over 20years. The side effects were unpleasant but I didn’t do anything about it until recently. After a short trip abroad I came home with a frightening case of sore and inflamed ankles. I went through a long list of medical tests that yielded no clue until I finally decided to heal my body with a new diet. No more dairy, no more carbs, no more flour.
Oats are my staple breakfast now, but I needed a wholesome alternative to powdered milk…so I thought I’d give coconut milk a try. I spent a day looking up recipes on YouTube and Pinterest, I wanted to be certain what kind of coconut to use, how much water etc. 2 coconuts and a blender later, I was drinking my first cup of utterly delicious, creamy home made coconut milk.
So this is how I did it….
-2 Coconuts (N150each)
-2 cups of water
-A high powered blender
-A cheese cloth (or a fine sieve)
-A glass cup.
Preparation Time: 20minutes
• Remove coconut flesh from shell.
• Cut the coconut in small pieces.
• At this point, you have coconut milk at bottom and coconut shaft on top.
• With clean hands, squeeze coconut shaft to get more juice out.
THIS IS THE FULL CREAM COCONUT MILK
• Repeat process two more times with blending and squeezing shaft until you no longer have thick milk coming through the bottom of your sieve. The milk from the second and third blends will give you low fat coconut milk.
• Voila, your delicious coconut milk is ready.
•Add cinnamon to taste or honey to sweeten.
Drink as is or use as a replacement for diary milk. Your ankles, and your entire body will thank you. Mine certainly did.
YIELDS; 1.5 Litres of Coconut Milk.
BONUS: You can dry the strained coconut shaft and use it as coconut flour to bake delicious no sugar-coconut flour- banana muffins. I’ll share that recipe another day.
Ebun Feludu runs Plug Media (www.plugmedia.com.ng) – a content development agency that caters to women. I’m married to Superman aka Tegaludu, my partner in pranks, and we have three gorgeous children. I live to create meals, ideas and content that make everyday just a little sweeter.
Have a special recipe you’d like to share? Send it to email@example.com and we will feature it on our website.