Nigerians love proverbs! Watch a village Nollywood movie and you will agree with me. Our proverbs are stuffed with not only wisdom but humour. Here are fifteen of the funniest Nigerian proverbs I have ever heard.
1) He who goes to sleep with an itching anus wakes up with smelly fingers – Nigerian Proverb
2) A short man is not a boy- Nigerian Proverb
3) No matter how hot your anger is, it cannot cook yams- Nigerian Proverb
4) The frown on the face of the goat will not stop it from being taken to the market – Nigerian Proverb
5) A person who sells eggs should not start a fight in the market.
6) Na when soldier slap you, you go sabi say police na your friend!
7) When a ripe fruit sees an honest man, it drops. ~Nigerian proverb
8) The one-eyed man does not thank God until he sees a blind man. ~Nigerian proverb
9) Fishing without a net is just bathing. ~Nigerian proverb
10) If you can’t dance well, you’d better not get up. ~Nigerian proverb
11) He who marries a beauty marries trouble. ~Nigerian proverb
12) A snake will always give birth to something long. ~Nigerian proverb
13) Fine words do not produce food. ~Nigerian proverb
14) The disobedient fowl obeys in a pot of soup. ~Nigerian proverb
15) It is the fear of what tomorrow may bring that makes the tortoise to carry his house along with him wherever he goes. ~Nigerian proverb
Do you know any funny Nigerian proverbs? Share in the Comments section.